For the Buns:
- 4 1/4 cups high grade flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 4 tbsp Bella New Zealand Manuka Honey
- 3 tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 50gr butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup orange zest
For the Crosses:
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup boiled water
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl mix 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups warm milk, 4 tbsp Bella New Zealand Manuka Honey and 3 tsp yeast, Allow to sit for 5 minutes. The result should be like a paste consistency.
- Then add the remaining 3 cups flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, cloves, butter, egg, and orange zest to the paste and combine to form a dough. Knead for 3 mins and then place the bowl of dough in a warm room to double in size.
- Once it has doubled take it out and place on a floured bench and knead for 7 minutes. Add more flour if too sticky. Allow to sit again in the bowl until it doubles again in size, usually an hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 12 pieces. Roll the pieces into a ball and place on a lined baking tray 2 cm apart.
- Allow to rise again, touching each other on the tray is best as they cook well like this.
- To make the crosses stir all ingredients together and place into a piping bag, pipe thin crosses over the top of the buns.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and smelling delicious.
- Combine the sugar and water in a pot on the stove until the sugar has dissolved.
- Brush this over the cooked hot cross buns as soon as they come from the oven.